Are you thinking of studying in Canada? If yes, you’ve made the right choice. Most of the Nepali students willing to study abroad choose Canada for their higher studies. Canada offers the best universities and colleges in the world that provides the most intensive courses and programs. Many of the students choose Canada for their abroad study as the country does not only provide quality education but is also considered as the safest country for international students.
In this blog, we will provide you all the information you need to know about the Canadian student visa. The Canadian government provides an opportunity for Nepali students to study in Canada. Your process to study in Canada does not end with getting admission to colleges/universities in Canada. Along with college/university admission, you’ll need to obtain a Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).
Study Permit Vs Temporary Resident Visa
There is a difference between the Canada study permit and TRV. Getting a Canada study permit does not mean that you have a visa for living in Canada. You need to be informed that a study permit allows you to study in Canada while a TRV allows you to enter Canada. A study permit for Canada is issued by the Citizen and Immigration (CIC). This permit allows you to study in Canada. Students having study permits need to remain enrolled and make timely progress towards completing their course. Our authorized counselors at CIC Education Hub will help you access the latest information and connect you with authorized migration experts.
How To Apply For Canadian Student Visa?
Let’s get started with the steps for processing for and getting a Canadian student visa:
Decide On The College/University In Canada You Want To Apply For
The very first step is to explore the colleges or universities in Canada that best matches your interest and budget. After deciding on the college/university, you can proceed with the college application process in Canada. Then, if you get accepted at the college/university, you can start processing for your Canadian student visa. Acceptance letter provided by the college/university in Canada is a prerequisite for applying for a Canada student visa. Some of the best colleges we recommend are Cambrian College, Canadore College, Georgian College, Royal Roads University, University of Prince Edward Island, etc.
Check If You Need To Apply For Canadian Student Visa
It is mandatory to apply for a Canadian student visa for studying in Canada. However, in some cases, you won’t need to apply for a Canadian student visa for studying in Canada. The cases are:
- If you are a family or staff member of a foreign representative in Canada, who is accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade, and Development Canada.
- If you are getting enrolled in a study program of fewer than six months.
- If you are a member of foreign armed forces from the Visiting Forces Act.
However, even if don’t need to apply for a Canadian student visa, you’ll need to get an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada.
Start Your Application for a Canadian student visa
As soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from a college/university in Canada, you need to start your application process for a Canadian student visa. Here are the steps for applying for a Canadian student visa:
- You can send your student visa application online through Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)’s website. You can also apply offline though.
- Submit your letter of acceptance that you’ve received from your college/university.
- Submit proof of financial resources required to support your studies in Canada. The fund should be enough to support your tuition fees and living expenses.
- Submit a police report mentioning that you have no criminal record to date.
- Submit your medical report that states you are in good health and fit to travel and study in Canada.
According to recent Canada student visa regulations, the application for your study permit will be processed in two weeks if you have a family member working or applying for a work permit in Canada. Please note that your study permit expires 90 days after your studies are complete and you receive a notification of the program completion from your college/university.
Documents Required For Canadian Student Visa
- Completed student permit application form
- Letter of acceptance provided by the college/university
- Valid passport/travel document
- Two recent passport-size photographs, with specifications of name and date of birth on the back
- Proof of financial support during your study tenure. You’ll need to show that you have about 10,000 and 11,000 CAD per year for living in the country.
- A letter of intent
- If you intend to study in Quebec, you will also need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec, English and French translations for your document, a statement from the translator and a certified copy of the original documents
- Proof of payment of study permit fee (150 CAD)
Canadian universities will require you to submit proof of English language proficiency if you come from a country whose primary language is not English. Some of the commonly accepted language tests are:
- Cambridge English: Advanced
How Long Does It Take To Get A Canadian Student Visa?
The Canadian visa application process usually takes about 4-6 weeks. We recommend you to go through the Canadian consulate website to know the approximate time taken to process the student visa. The status of your online applications can be viewed on your MyCIC account. Similarly, to know the status of your paper applications too you are required to have a MyCIC account where you can receive in-depth and real-time information about your application status. You will also receive online messages regarding your application.
Study Permit Renewal
If in case your study permit expires before completion of your studies (program) then you need to apply for renewal of study permit. It is recommended to apply for a study permit renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires. Applications can be submitted through mail or online through websites.
In order to increase your chances of getting a Canada Student Visa, you need to follow each of the provided steps very carefully. It is always recommended to apply online rather than by paper as online visa application processing takes lesser time. We at CIC Education Hub guide students willing to study in Canada in each and every step of the Canadian visa application process. We can provide you with answers to all your questions on how to apply for a Canadian student visa. Feel free to contact us if you are planning to study abroad or applying for a Canadian student visa from Nepal.
You might also like:
- Step Up Your Career Opportunities With Best Jobs In Canada
- Is Canada Safe For International Students | Study In Canada
- How Much Does It Cost To Study In Canada | CIC Education Hub
- Support Studies With Scholarship For Nepalese Students In Canada
- Popular Cities With Top Universities And Colleges In Canada